Saturday, June 2, 2012

Two Weeks

I don't believe that time could be flying by any faster than it is right now.  Since I didn't have an IV in when Ryleigh delivered (no time for that), it was recommended that we stay in the hospital for 48 hours for observation of any infections.  At times it could  be long and boring, and I would look around the hospital room for anything to do: look out the window into the courtyard, fold sheets, tidy the bathroom, wipe down my portable table, organize the dirty dishes on the food tray... but then there were those times - especially in the evenings when the hospital quieted down and the constant stream of hospital personnel coming in and out of my room leveled off, that I would be overcome with deep gratitude for my sweet, healthy baby and the time that I had alone to spend with her - just Ryleigh and I.  I knew that these few precious moments were fleeting and soon we would be back home acclimating to our new life as a family of four.

Nancy- unable to go back to sleep once she knew I was in labor - got up and drove the 3.5 hours down from Dallas at 3:30am to stay with Savannah and help wherever needed.  What a champ!  Most noticeably, I was thankful for her keeping our house picked up and knowing that I could (though most often times by accident) drift asleep in the middle of the day in the bedroom with Ryleigh by my side - and know that Savannah was being well taken care of.  And Savannah loved the attention so much I think she hardly noticed when I was gone at the hospital!

And hallelujah for a FULL freezer of dinners!  Once my mom arrived (and we had relieved Nancy) mom was busy the entire week she spent with us by grocery shopping, cooking, freezing meals, and sewing projects.  I even got to utilize her Sam's Club membership before she left and we stocked up.  WAY up!  It was a very relaxing week for me of not having to worry about menu planning, cooking, or grocery shopping (which I don't think I'll have to worry about for another month!) - and again being able to fall asleep and know that Savannah was being well taken care of.

At the routine newborn checkups since the hospital, the pediatrician commented that Ryleigh is 'perfect' - her coloring, reflexes, etc. and she is a very healthy baby.  Even so, I'm keeping a very close eye on and taking especially good care of her skin since we've been cautioned that eczema runs in the genetics.

Overall, it has been a really smooth transition for our family.  With the exception of a few times so far when Savannah has been particular of who she approves to hold Ryleigh, she has adjusted well and is really good at bringing me diapers and letting us know when baby is crying.  She can even say Ryleigh's name clearer than she does her own ("Sanna").  And  I don't know if it's because of the help we've had, my persistence of working out before and during my pregnancy, the fact that I labored and delivered naturally, or just the way my body is built, or all of the above, but I've had a really quick and easy recovery.

First outing to the park.  And she slept through the whole thing.

Two weeks and already growing so fast

Savannah loving on her baby sister


3 comments:

  1. She is so stinkin precious Kristen!! I want to hold her:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Sorry, I know I'm little late, but I just read your birthing story! Good Job WIlson! So proud of you! She is a beautiful girl! Looks just like her daddy.
    I hope I get to see your family someday soon. I miss you so much.
    Having two babies are fun huh? how are you adjusting?
    Baby Ren is keeping me busy, but I love that my family is growing.
    I hope to call you once things are settled for you!

    ReplyDelete